Monday, April 19, 2010

I Smell Like Spit-Up

My last blog post was February 28. I have to laugh a little bit, because just five days after that last post, I went into preterm labor. Unfortunately, by the time we decided to go to the hospital (I had no idea I was in labor- I just knew I was miserable and wanted the horrible pain to go away), I was way too far along for them to stop my labor, and I gave birth to Madelyn early the next morning. Today, six weeks later, is her actual due date.

I feel like we've been living in the Twilight Zone since then. While we've adjusted to life in the NICU for the most part (you can never truly feel at home in a hospital), it all seems so surreal. I feel like a part-time Mommy since I only get to hold Madelyn for about an hour and a half every day. I did get to meet my little one early, but we've also seen her hooked up to all sorts of things, endured lots of disappointment, and learned the consequences of a shortened gestational period. There have been a lot of tears and frustration for both Jason and I, and I feel just guilty that my body didn't do what it was supposed to do in regards to carrying a child. But now, I'm just going to stop with the not fun stuff. That's not what we need to focus on, even though it's hard not to.

So now for the fun stuff. Madelyn is an absolute sweetheart. She is a happy, smiley baby who loves to be held. She is also quite fiesty. She does not like to be held in certain positions, and she will get mad if the nurses mess with her too much. She prefers to be held so that she can see us, and most of the time, she just wants to sit on one of our laps, and make froggy faces. She is growing great, and is currently 5 lbs. 11 oz.- which is quite a bit bigger than her original 3 lbs. 1 oz. In fact, she's got some nice chub around her face, and her arms are getting some mini-rolls on them. She's also filled out in the legs, which means that her chicken legs are officially gone. She loves it when Daddy sings to her (Mommy does too, but Dad's more favorite) and when he reads to her. She is finally beginning to like baths, but she still hates having her head scrubbed. Yes, head, not hair. Her hair currently consists of peach fuzz. It's very soft and sweet, but she does lack that wild hubangee look that some of the other hairier babies have. We like her though, bald head and all.

Oh, and yes, Madelyn spit up on me today. It's the first time that it's happened. It won't be the last though, will it?

No comments:

Post a Comment