Thursday, December 9, 2010

Repurposed Sweater

We had a dilemma after we bought Madelyn this:



Of course, it's super cute, but not incredibly practical for winter. I planned on buying a little cardigan to go over the top, but I could not find one that would look good and cost less than $15. A few nights ago, I had an epiphany. I remembered that I had a white cropped sweater that no longer fit. I've been seeing adult clothing refashioned into kid's clothing on multiple blogs and I figured I could do the same. So I cut the sweater into Madelyn-size pieces, using the bodice from the pattern I used to make her blessing dress. Here is the finished product:



This would be the overall cardigan. Our camera stinks, but you get the idea. I added random flowers and cool buttons that I got from my grandma. I also replaced the buttons for better ones. Here's the closeup:



And here's the flower I made to go on the headband that will match the dress. Making this involved an open flame, which was a little scary, but it was pretty easy otherwise. I may have one that matches hers.....



The sweater is not perfect, but it cost exactly $0. That enabled us to save $15, plus it was educational for me! Madelyn likes it okay, so we are going to call it good, and call her holiday outfit complete!

2 comments:

  1. So Cute!!! I love all the re-purposed clothing out there. I keep saving things to 're-purpose', but actually getting to it, not so much! You have inspired me!!!

    ReplyDelete